When Home Improvement Met Electronics, The Forgotten Lowe's Department

 

When Home Improvement Met Electronics

The forgotten Lowe's Department


When you think of Lowe's, what's the first thing that you think of?
Hardware, right?

Tools, wood planks, fridges & stoves, garden supplies, maybe even some floor tiles?

But what about televisions?

Maybe some VCR's?

You might find a lot of things for your house at Lowe's, but electronics is not one of them... anymore

This Lowe's commercial from 1994 confused me the first time I saw it

Sure, they start off by showing a Christmas tree, some hammers, and a large toolbox display, typical for Lowe's

But "what's with the tv's" was my first thought when I originally viewed the commercial
The commercial also features cordless phones and stereos?

Yup, they sold those too apparently

Game systems as well

The Game Boy was released in 1989, but didn't arrive at Lowe's until 1991

Can't forget about the camcorders also

Even though Lowe's is a hardware / home improvement store, they appear to have had a full-blown electronics department at one time

Lowe's electronics display, 1996

Electronics must have played a large part in the Lowe's formula back in the day


Imagine buying a new computer at Lowe's out of all places

They sold electronic-type merchandise for years, too.
The ad seen above is from 1972

I'm not sure when exactly the electronics department was removed, but It was last advertised in 1998, so Lowe's stopped selling electronics in or around that time.


I don't know why, but the concept of Lowe's having an electronics department seems kind of odd to me.

What store has a full-scale hardware, appliance AND electronics department

...other than Sears


When I found out Lowe's sold electronics, I thought that they were trying to compete with the likes of Best Buy or Circuit City, but maybe, just maybe, Lowe's was really trying to fight with Sears...



Anyone else find it a bit odd that Lowe's sold any of this in the first place?

Thanks for reading

All images are from Google News Archive and Newspapers.com

Comments

  1. My parents purchased a Magnavox TV from them in 1989. I later purchased an entire Pioneer rack stereo that I had until a few years ago when the receiver finally died. Seems like they got out of this in the really early 2000s, because my local store opened June 2000, and it had the section only for a short time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment